The Africa tour finished in Congo with a fitting conclusion on the themes of unity and cooperation that had been seen during the entire trip. Kasparov learned a great deal from his gracious hosts about their ambitious dreams for chess…
Six Winning Moves
- FIDE will be a transparent organization that serves and supports the national federations. There will be an increase in communication and information shared between FIDE and the federations in order to make the FIDE Secretariat more effective and responsive. There will be constancy in the bidding processes for FIDE events.
- The national federations will prosper as FIDE prospers. FIDE should provide for its members instead of being supported by them.
- Reduce membership fees by 50% immediately.
- 25% reduction per year of all other fees.
- FIDE finances:
- Increase the FIDE budget by 100% in the next two years via corporate sponsorship.
- Increase revenues through commercial sponsorship by reorganizing FIDE with a professional marketing approach that will make chess and the FIDE brand attractive to corporate and public sponsors.
- Universal rating system and expansion of online services:
- A universal rating system will include every game of chess played on the planet, from world championship matches to online blitz. It will serve as a portal that unites tens of millions of players and will become an attractive advertising and sponsorship asset.
- FIDE must provide benefits to the huge base of chessplayers, not just serve the elite. It can do this by offering services to the federations such as online news and training, a social media platform, direct support for organizers and journalists, and assistance with fundraising and finding sponsorship.
- Chess in education for children:
- Develop the next generation of chessplayers around the world by promoting and establishing chess-in-education programs. Having chess be included in the school curriculum builds a strong foundation for the global development of our sport.
- Create and encourages programs and research on chess in education at every grade level and into adulthood. The many positive benefits of chess, especially for kids and seniors, should be documented and promoted.
- The experience of the Kasparov Chess Foundation, which has raised millions of dollars for chess-in-education programs worldwide, has demonstrated the enthusiasm for these programs at both public and private institutions. This expertise will be at the service of FIDE and the international chess federation will take the lead in bringing chess into every classroom.
- Review FIDE regulations to protect the integrity of chess:
- Collaborate with players and organizers on a common-sense implementation of the zero-tolerance rule that will preserve dignity and professionalism.
- Take immediate steps to develop, test, and implement strong anti-cheating measures, including severe penalties for violators.
- Adopt anti-short-draw rules to preserve the integrity of the game and to improve the image of chess as a sport worthy of greater media attention and commercial sponsorship.